MATERIALS ENGINEER, POLYMERS
Engineering & Product Development Department is responsible for CECO technologies targeting compressor performance, reliability and efficiency. The team serves a critical role to support strategic sales growth objectives. The Materials Engineer is responsible for establishing design and application guidelines and improving new and existing CECO compressor products, technologies and polymers. These cutting–edge products compress and transport gas to deliver resources for human needs. Equally important, the Material Engineer is responsible for day–to–day engineering workload to support customer orders of CECO’s existing line of products.
Position Key Accountabilities:
- Establish design and application guidelines for existing polymers that are used on pistons and packing case seals. Time Frame: 3 months.
- Develop physical, wear, mechanical and thermal properties for polymers.
- Audit process conditions and parameters to standardize quality.
- Update standard operating procedures and standard work instructions.
- Deliver technical reviews and advising for designs through drawing reviews, testing, specification ownership, and defining of material requirements.
- Monitor used polymer parts to ensure lifetimes exceed customer expectations.
- Introduce new polymer products, including involvement in formulation, processing, and defining processing parameters to reduce total operating cost for customers. Lead new product field test program in conjunction with Sales. Time Frame: 1 year.
- Identify and develop technical plan to expand the use of current polymer products outside of current customer/market segments. Time Frame: 2 years.
- Coordinates continuous improvement for polymers.
- Coordinates applicable product testing verification and ongoing validation to meet product specifications.
- Participate in new equipment and tooling specification and setup.
- Accountable for reporting, compliance, process improvements, and driving the business results with the team.
- Lead root cause failure analysis as a subject matter expert for polymer failure mechanisms.
- Collaborate polymers knowledge and recommendations to broader engineering and non–engineering communities with quarterly info sessions.
- Licensed with the National Society of Professional Engineers preferred.
- Experience in an engineering manufacturing environment preferred.
- Familiarity with JDE ERP systems.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word, Power Point.
- Detail oriented; focus on accuracy; self–motivated.
- Problem solver with the ability to identify root causes.
- Ability to work with diverse teams with multiple priorities.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Well organized and effective time management.
- Experience in polymer characterization techniques and equipment, including SEM–EDS, FTIR, DSC, TGA, LFA, DMA, TMA, rheometry, optical microscopy, mechanical property testing preferred.
- Understanding of failure modes in polymers preferred.
- Experience with review of materials processing and evaluating interaction between process variables and the resulting material performance preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in one of the related fields: Materials Science and Engineering, Polymer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or other engineering degree.
- Eight (8) years of polymer, process engineering or manufacturing engineering experience in compounding, with PTFE experience preferred.
- Expert troubleshooting experience in compounding.
- Experience testing polymer materials to ensure they meet specifications.
- Experienced in creating standard operating procedures & work instructions.
- Strong Continuous Improvement experience.
- The Materials Engineer (Polymers) needs specific experience in maximizing throughput.
- Polymer testing and approval experience.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Must be flexible to travel, if necessary, to perform duties at satellite locations.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use of eyes for close vision, use hands, fingers, grasp, handle, reach, listen, talk and need to talk on the telephone while using a computer.
- Exerts up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently and/or up to 5 pounds constantly to move objects.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with customers, superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the company.
Must successfully pass all background screens as required by the client for access to work facilities.